Monday, January 12, 2009

Love Your Children



When was the last time you told your kid(s) how amazing they were?  
When was the last time they blew you away with humorous, intelligent comments?
When was the last time you put down what you were doing to just BE with them?

I have to say, I can't answer the above questions the way I really want to.  My life has been so busy, and I have let myself be so distracted with busy-ness, that I neglect these simple things. These are the things I will look back and regret.  More than not having the beautiful farmhouse with the perfect garden.  More than not being able to purchase a fine hybrid right out of the showroom.  More than not having my cherry red, matching, front-loading washer and dryer.

I pushed the envelope with my kids tonight, needing them to be patient as we unexpectedly drove for what seemed like hours in traffic, trying to get my husband to an appointment during rush hour just outside of Boston.  Not one complaint or issue as we drove on and on, red light after red light... they were tired (I heard the yawns) and hungry (and the tummy rumbles), and yet they hung in there, somehow knowing we had to get where we were going and complaining wouldn't help.  I love how kids do know when to pull up their boot straps and carry on through the murky waters of young-adulthood.  Out of nowhere they find patience and understanding, even if their West Coast Mama was driving like a maniac through East Coast Mayhem, yelling like a banshee.

But one look in the rear view mirror told me everything would be ok, whether we got there on time or not.  Both boys, smiling back at me (I think my truck-driver hollering amused them. I've been told I can also do a pretty good grandma imitation...).

Are you able to look at your kids and know they are getting exactly what they need from you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how we can get so busy in our day to day stuff to not notice that which is SOOOOO important right under our noses? I am with you Jill. Sometimes I have to make myself , I mean really force myself to stop and look in my kids faces to read what is going on. My kids are now teenagers and I get a lot of eye rolling and smirking and "Whatever!", but also I can see eyes that tell me they are worried. Worried about growing up, living in a hard world, or just worried about having a parent with cancer. People always say that kids are resillient, but they also need just a little bit of "eye to eye time". Oh, I can't wait for my kids to come home later, just so I can check in with them! They will definitely wonder, "What is up with Mom?" This is good!