Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How to Make Good Enchiladas-Outstanding Enchiladas

I made some enchiladas for a convalescing friend today ( and some extras for us). I love love love enchiladas, and although they are time-consuming to make, they taste sooooo good - who cares? I thought I would share how I make them, since it is a bit different than typical cookbooks suggest. I learned this from the Beyond the Moon cookbook by Ginny Callan. (I think this cookbook is outrageously amazing, by the way. You have to be able to stomach alot of dairy and not counting fat calories, as she really uses quite a bit.) Here's how it goes:

Put a small frying pan on medium heat. Place one corn tortilla in pan.


Brush tortilla with melted butter:


Brush tortilla with salsa:


Heat tortilla for just a few moments, then turn and do it all over on the other side. The tortilla is done when it is soft - only about 15-20 seconds or so:


I tend to do the brushing of butter and salsa on the first side before I put the tortilla in the pan, brushed side down. That leaves the unbrushed side facing up, ready to be brushed before turning it over. This gets you a step ahead, and keeps the tortilla from sticking over the heat.

Fill with whatever you like - cheese, chicken, beef, pork, broccoli, beans, whatever. Put them in an oven-proof dish and cover with cheese and enchilada sauce. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or so, until bubbly. Here is what my friend will receive tomorrow:

Enjoy!! And don't forget the giveaway - deadline is this Thursday, 10 pm!

No comments: